Home Help Search Login Register
Do you want your ads here? Contact me.
Home | Forum | Results | Articles | FAQ | Competition archive | Media Gallery | Store
www.baggressive.com provides information for boomerang throwers and interested parties. You will find all the info you need to successfully throw a boomerang over 100m and have it return over your head.

ld book | Popular T-Shirts | Store overview
The classic B_AGGRESSiVE Shirt. Find it, and lots more designs in our shop.

Don't forget to check out our ld book, the best offline reference for long distance boomerangs.
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  Competition archive  |  Topic: Cologne, D :: LD Euros :: July-4-2005
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cologne, D :: LD Euros :: July-4-2005  (Read 16626 times)
Tibor
136 m
BAGGRESSiVE

B AGGRESSiVE

« on: Jul 05, 2005, 18:14 »

Written by Lorenz Gubler

The LD European Championships in Cologne / Köln (Germany) took place on July 4, on the Monday after the regular European Championships, which were won by Fridolin Frost (D). As often encountered on these occasions, the LD event was regarded as something set aside and unworthy of proper recognition, contested only by a bunch of whackos. I (Lorenz) was pissed off, the event was not even mentioned on the official flyer.

I visited the field with the organizer on Sunday evening. Its size turned out to be massive and well fit for some really far throws. But then came the downer: the grass was not cut but hip high !  Knowing that probably we would be loosing a couple of boomerangs, I was reluctant to announce these shortcomings to the LD crew. But we would have to see how things go on the day.

On Monday, as we were gathering on the field, I cringed when I saw the disappointed faces of the people. Not few announced that they were not going to use their best boomerangs today - a wise decision.

The throwers were bundled in three groups. 1 round of 6 throws was going to be contested, with 10 min warm-up for each group. I wanted the tournament to be over by 14-15 h, because there were some thunder- and hail storms announced.

Order of throwers was as random as it gets. Many of the alleged "far" throwers were in group 1. The wind was quite strong but - worst of all - very shifty and full of turbulences. The boom could easily dive or rise 10 m in a split second.

We decided to position spotters also way back of the base line, because the booms were going over 100 m back due to the strong wind. This turned out to be a good decision. All boomerangs could be found, even one of Manu's Voyagers that went into the forest (again !). The spotting discipline for crashed booms was excellent and accurate, finding booms in grass that high has to rely on the(multiple) intersection method.

Back to the tournament: Manuel was in the unusual position having to go home without a valid throw. Kari Korhonen was leading after the first group's round with 114 m. Fred Declercq (CH), an experienced regular thrower, was very receptive of advice and took the lead with 116 m. But the third group was still to throw. Since the first group contested, the wind had become a bit more friendly, i.e. lower and with less turbulence. The first thrower was Andrea Cocco, a 14 year old from Switzerland, and on his very first throw he had a majestic 123 m flight. This remained the farthest distance, so we are proud to have the youngest European Champion of all times !! Andrea also collected the Junior trophy :-)

Code:
Results:
1.  Andrea Cocco (CH)      123
2.  Fred Declercq (CH)     116
3.  Kari Korhonen (SF)     114
4.  Lorenz Gubler (CH)     104
5.  René Vonlanthen (CH)   100
6.  Stanislaus Plewinski (D)98
7.  Ruedi Salzmann (CH)     90
8.  Rainer Graebenteich (D) 82
9.  Antonio Scarpellino (I) 82
10. Renato Banalotti (I)    79
11. Georgi Dimantchev (BUL) 74
12. Joachim Beers (DK)      55
13. Manuel Schütz (CH)       0
13. Giuseppe Belfi (I)       0
13. Günter Möller (D)        0
13. Mirko Forti (I)          0
13. Jacopo Belfi (I)         0

During the last round already, dark coulds began to gather, and 10 minutes after the last throw, the rain was coming down in torrents. A bit of luck at last !
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2005, 16:26 by Tibor » Logged
Laurent Froment
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2005, 05:03 »

Incredible story ! Thanx for the report. Congratulations to Andrea !

MHLDR, Laurent.
Laurent Froment
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2005, 05:18 »

Yes and i'm really sad to hear about the poor consideration of long distance Boomerang  Cry
I think that it is a really important part of the Boomerang, i particulary like throwers good in all events includind LD...

Incredible story ! Thanx for the report. Congratulations to Andrea !

MHLDR, Laurent.

Tibor
136 m
BAGGRESSiVE

B AGGRESSiVE

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2005, 16:29 »

Congratulations to Andrea. Very nice. The force is strong in the young apprentice Smiley
Lorenz
149 m
BAGGRESSiVE

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2005, 02:20 »

yes, a great future in him I see :-)

Danke fürs Posten der Results..
Rob Stewart
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2005, 22:30 »

So Andrea is only 14 ??!!  That is a great accomplishment! 

(Lorenz: very nice writeup or the tournament.)
Jens Krabbe
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2005, 08:52 »

Well done Andrea! You the man!  Cool
Good work Lorenz! Get that LD announced clear and loud at every tournament!
And get that grass cut  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  Competition archive  |  Topic: Cologne, D :: LD Euros :: July-4-2005
Jump to: