Home Help Search Login Register
Do you want your ads here? Contact me.
Home | Forum | Results | Articles | FAQ | Competition archive | Media Gallery | Store
www.baggressive.com provides information for boomerang throwers and interested parties. You will find all the info you need to successfully throw a boomerang over 100m and have it return over your head.

ld book | Popular T-Shirts | Store overview
The classic B_AGGRESSiVE Shirt. Find it, and lots more designs in our shop.

Don't forget to check out our ld book, the best offline reference for long distance boomerangs.
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  General ld Discussion  |  Topic: unconventional LD flight pattern
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: unconventional LD flight pattern  (Read 2039 times)
Rob Stewart
« on: Jun 27, 2010, 17:48 »

Gary and Logan Broadbent were throwing a Manuel Schuetz moulded CF Voyager at NALDO (the North American Long Distance Open tournament in Ohio, USA).  I believe the boom weighed about 37g.

The flight pattern was not conventional.  The RH boom was being thrown either directly into the wind or slightly to the left of the wind.  It went out very low, climbed high at the apex of the flight and rolled to the *right*.  At this point I would normally say the boomerang was thrown incorrectly or was very detuned.  However, the boomerang had enough spin and height that as it dove down to the right it gained speed and enough lift to bring it back across the line in a right-to-left "S".  Logan, especially took advantage of this odd flight to throw over 130m and eventually his 149m throw.  I could not believe what I was seeing.

Has anyone ever seen this pattern purposely exploited in competition?  Manuel, is this an intended flight regime for this type of boomerang?

Rob Stewart
laurent
141 m

« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:55 »

Hi,

Interesting to read that. I rember Lorenz and Manuel throwing these light carbon Voyagers. They will correct me if I am wrong but I think the flightpath was quite similar with what you described.

The flight you describe is maybe quite extreme though but most of the really competitive boomerangs are "on the edge" of going to the right near the apex. The best booms are thrown nearly in the wind. Just a little more to the right and they fall down right. I think you have to go near this limit when tuning and improving a boomerang. Round flighpath are not competitive anymore.

I have some booms that produce similar flights, I use them for low winds or even no wind : their fast diving "S" return is quite reliable in calm conditions, when it is difficult to have full return. They are not my best booms, though.

For stronger winds I don't like this flight patern because the boom can often pass on the right of the line. In this case I give a *slight* negative dihedral on the leading arm OR I change a little bit the elbow airfoil. This has the same effect to prevent the boom laying down too early in the flight. This reduces the "pointed" apex flightpath, climb a little bit slower and reduces the S return.

Laurent

Pages: [1] Print 
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  General ld Discussion  |  Topic: unconventional LD flight pattern
Jump to: