Home Help Search Login Register
Do you want your ads here? Contact me.
Home | Forum | Results | Articles | FAQ | Competition archive | Media Gallery | Store
www.baggressive.com provides information for boomerang throwers and interested parties. You will find all the info you need to successfully throw a boomerang over 100m and have it return over your head.

ld book | Popular T-Shirts | Store overview
The classic B_AGGRESSiVE Shirt. Find it, and lots more designs in our shop.

Don't forget to check out our ld book, the best offline reference for long distance boomerangs.
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  diary-blog  |  Topic: LD below sea level
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LD below sea level  (Read 7899 times)
rikbeter

« on: Jul 23, 2009, 17:10 »

Hi,

I want to tell something about myself and how i became interested in LD.
I am 40 years of age and at the age of 17 i read an article in a Dutch scientific magazine about boomerangs by Felix Hess.
That's when i build my first boomerang, a wooden cross. In 2005 i got the boomerang fever and build several booms, encouraged by some colleagues who were also very enthusiastic about boomerangs. We even formed a company boomerang club, which is (as far as i know) the only organized boomerang club in the Netherlands.
Its not very surprisingly that, at my work, are so many boomerang enthusiasts since i work at the National Aerospace Laboratory, where the number of possible boom-enthusiasts is certainly above average. 
We threw together during lunch break and still do. The website of our club can be found here:
http://www.koolloos.com/boemerang/boemerang.html

As you can see at the website, the boomerang test area we have available (at work!) is 300x500 meters (with a road in between  Sad ) and is very suitable for LD  Smiley.

After having made several regular booms, it was time for me to  get a new challenge: LD ( and at my club i am not alone)

Apart from the test area i also have at work is lots of knowledge about aerodynamics and a variety of wind tunnels ranging from 9.5x9.5 meters until .8 x .6 meters. I think there is no better way to compare the lift and drag of different boomerang airfoils, influence of turbulators, shapes etc then in a wind tunnel. I have to convince my boss to do some tests, but what arguments should i use?  I think its possible to measure lift and drag on a rotating full size boomerang in a wind tunnel under different conditions like flow velocity, angular velocity and angle of attack. If somebody is interested in wind tunnel test, and can find a sponsor to perform the measurements let me know!

My goal:
- make new friends
- make new boomerangs
- attend a LD tournament
- make it to the 100+ club

Paul

Tibor
136 m
BAGGRESSiVE

B AGGRESSiVE

« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2009, 17:51 »

There was a German study on wind tunnel testing of boomerangs, including rotations etc.
I have the German text somewhere. Being dutch, you might be able to read it Wink

As for clubs in Holland, there is (was?) the ABO. Webs. Was it disbanded?
Current active throwers are as far as I know only: Lars Overzee.
I am pretty sure you can reach him over at the Boomerang_talk yahoo group.
rikbeter

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:47 »

There was a German study on wind tunnel testing of boomerangs, including rotations etc.
I have the German text somewhere. Being dutch, you might be able to read it Wink
I am very interested in that text. I would very much appreciate it if you would send it to me.

The ABO website is last updated in 2000. Mails to the former ABO members seem to disappear in a black hole. I have also tried to contact Lars Overzee, but until now in vain.

On some kind of friendship network i have created a dutch web boomerang club http://boerman5.hyves.nl/ and have already 16 members (including Ed ter Laare; although he has become a member, he is not responding to my questions :-( ).

I think the Netherlands have the largest number of LD spots per square meter in the world, but the Dutch are not taking advantage of this fact. The time has come to change this!

laurent
141 m

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2009, 17:27 »

Hello

Have you made the first expriments on your wind tunnel since ? I am very curious to know the results. It could be great to test a rotating boomerang with various airfoils (sharp, rounded, elliptic, trailing edge symmetric to leading edge...)

Laurent
rikbeter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2009, 03:46 »

hi Laurent,

No not yet, i think the idea will stay this winter in the fridge. I have some things to build at home concerning my house and that has a larger priority  Wink

Paul

laurent
141 m

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2009, 16:57 »

Hi,

I've seen on the blog that they were a lot of potential LD fields in the Netherlands. When a tournament will be held ? Does somebody planned this?  Wink

Laurent
rikbeter

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54 »

What do you need to organize a tournament?

Around where i live and work is enough space, fi have a look around:
http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=maps+vollenhove&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Vollenhove,+Steenwijk,+Overijssel&gl=nl&ei=RY_2S__ZOYWMOI77tIMJ&ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&t=h&layer=c&cbll=52.770548,6.07021&panoid=qwhMci7403x1yfqI19cgPQ&cbp=12,172.96,,0,5&ll=52.762996,6.089172&spn=0.060767,0.154495&z=13

Is there some kind of recepy for LD tournaments?

rikbeter

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:03 »

Hi there,

I am still alive. Due to young children my boomerang workshop is temporary closed. But good news from NL. Thanks to a facebook group some people communicate which may lead to a new dutch tournament next year.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/125586734260216/

If this event will happen i hope there is room/space for LD as well.

Paul

Pages: [1] Print 
BAGGRESSiVE forum  |  Long Distance  |  diary-blog  |  Topic: LD below sea level
Jump to: